Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Antique Mirror Revival

Finally, a quick and easy project!


Well, sort of! After I rebuilt some of the detailing, and fixed up the gapes where some detail had been removed, I was able to give this sweetie a quick facelift! I used Shabby Texture, by Shabby Paints to fill in, and to rebuild the detail. It is a really cool product that can be used as filler, build appliqu├ęs, or to add texture and make something look like plaster.

This is a corner that I had to rebuild. It looks small, but it was the most difficult, because I needed to match the shape of the rest, and I had no mold.

This curve needed rebuilding as well, but it was easier to shape.

 There used to be detail on the bottom sides, similar to the ones on top, but someone had removed them, and left a gaping hole on each side, so I fixed it up, and you can't even tell it was ever there.

I do always take some time to ponder, before painting an antique like this. If at all possible, I prefer to restore, but some pieces are too far gone (Most of the ones I get are, actually). This piece had already been modified too much to hold any great value (since pieces had been removed), and it needed enough repair, that paint seemed like the best option.  I painted it with Shabby Paints Worn White, and sealed it with Pearl Revax. You can't see the pearlescent sheen in the photos, but it's phenomenal in person!

Here are some larger after photos. I am very pleased with the turnout! I think she is going to live with me for a while!






Thursday, March 12, 2015

Dining Table Makeover

I am thrilled with how this beautiful dining table turned out!


I found it on a local classified site, for a low price, and immediately saw the potential. The top is nice and thick, solid wood, and I have always loved tables with chunky legs. It had carvings in it, and it was grimy.  I was appalled when I turned it over and found about 40 pieces of chewed gum stuck to the bottom!! But I cleaned it up thoroughly, and got to work!




Once I got the top all sanded down, it looked like this...  Mostly bare wood, but not perfect. That's the beauty of this stuff!

I used all Shabby Paints products on this project. I LOVE how easy and durable they are, but honestly, the biggest bonus is that they are 100% non toxic (even before curing), 100% food safe, 100% VOC free, and made in the USA.

I painted the legs and the skirt with Vanilla Bear. Then I distressed lightly and sealed with Sheer Vax.


For the top, I  mixed Hazelnut Revax, and Black Revax (Probably 75% Hazelnut, and 25% Black). It took 3 coats to get the desired color, and then I added a coat of Shabby Varnish. You can only apply  2 coats in 24 hours, so it took me two days (about an hour each day). This finish is incredibly durable! The revaxes have sealer in them so every single coat is strong. I have used it on several pieces in my home, and I am telling you, it stands up to abuse!

Here is how it looked after one coat:


2 Coats:

And here it is all finished. I am so pleased!


I can't wait to get my chairs done! My paint is on the way!